Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Daydream realization

Whilst doing a bit of daydream thinking about this work, it struck me that the art & craft work I collected from the children in The Gambia is from very young children, and whilst I was with them creating it, they were just so excited to be doing this sort of thing, they didn't care what it looked like. It was a true expression of their creativity and not their thought processing creativity. They just wanted to make a picture, not construct it through what their mind wanted to create. 
I think thats the approach i need to take with this work too. I need to stop thinking about it so much. Make a true representation of my journey in The Gambia and how it turns out will not be through me sitting for hours trying to make colour to colour and fit the text in perfectly. 

The Gambians, make their own clothes, jewellery, they cook outside on the sand path. They are not overly worried about how they look, are their clothes, jewellery and hair co-ordinated. 
So I am going to stitch into my work, use beads and shells and whatever things I can find around me. Just like they do !