Monday, 27 January 2014

Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize 2013 @ National Portrait Gallery

This week I visited the Taylor Wessing portrait exhibition and these are a few selected images that I felt particularly fed into my current projects.

©Carmen Ballve
Girls in Barracon - Carmen Ballve
This image caught my attention because I feel that it is full of emotion. The young girl on the left of the main subject is just resting her chin on her arm as if she is waiting for something. The main subject is looking into the distance, is she daydreaming? Is so looking at somebody or something?
The main thing that struck me is that the main female doesn't look sad.. her mouth is slightly upturned. Yes they are just standing there, and there is washing hanging down over her and the background looks like poor and basic but she does not look malnourished, she does not look like she is sick starving.
To me she looks quite content.

I like the black and white simplicity of the image. I feel so much emotion from this photograph, I feel like I could sit for hours looking. Neither of the females are looking into camera, so there is no uncomfortable-ness when looking at them. It almost feels as if they are wanting you to look.

©Rosie Hallam
Choir Master - rosie Hallam
I just love the smile on this man's face in this image. He looks like he is so totally enjoying life, and enjoying his job. I think the colour really enhances this as well. The colours are not bright and overpowering, just quite subtle and warm and inviting.
The text on the blackboard is clearly visible for the viewer to read. It feels as though I am in his class, and he is teaching me the words that are on the board.

©Jonathon Torgovnik
Grannie May Mokhethoa…. - Jonathon Torgovnik
 I feel a little more uncomfortable looking at this image. Each subject is looking into camera, which makes me feel uncomfortable as a viewer spending time looking. 
It is interesting to see all the generations of this family in one image, and to see the clothes they are wearing compared to the basics of the house. 
The expressions on the subjects' faces are not happy, warm or inviting which adds to the uncomfortableness of looking into the images and looking at them. I feel a slight awkwardness and that does not make me want to study to photograph further.


©Kate Eshelby
Returning Home - Kate Eshelby
This image really struck me at first for the basicness of the home, yet there is still a TV in the corner. It is fascinating, the walls look as if they have no insulating, the thin curtain at the very right side and the lack of light in the room, yet the TV is so prominant in the image.
Also, the only thing on the wall, and the thing that really stands out due to the colour in this photograph is the image on their wall, of 2 white babies. The anthropology bells ring in my head, 'the other' is SO evident in this photograph. It looks as though it is made from a material that we would perhaps use as a table cloth at a party, not paper or card or anything like a formal photograph. Where did they get it from? Why do they have it on their wall? Why is it so in sight within this photograph?


©Dirk Rees
Women of Khowarib - Dirk Rees
This stands out to me as a 'typical' tribal photograph. All the women are wearing the same outfit/uniform so we presume that they are a part of a tribe and this is their custom dress.
I would say that this image is posed because they are all standing straight on to camera and quite formal looking.
It was not until I began to really study this image that I noticed the small child in the bottom left of this photograph. He blended in with all of the womens' legs.
I feel slightly uncomfortable looking at this photograph but I am unsure why. I have seen lots of photographs of tribal women and so it is not the lack of clothes, perhaps it is because there are 8 people looking 'at me' and only me looking at them. It is slightly overpowering because I do feel very outumbered.
I think it is more powerful being black and white as well instead of colours, I think if there were lots of colour within this image it would be too busy and too chaotic.