I started off by looking at different landscape photographers and photographs. I first of all came across Ansel Adams and then Alfred Stieglitz through a little reading. Then I started looking through different series' and bodies of work, eventually falling upon 'Mount Williamson' by Adams. I loved the image but didn't know what it was about, and after reading his books I was so surprised at what the meaning behind it was, so I was hooked.
I really felt that it linked nicely to my work in a way that I didn't really expect it to.
Then I found a quote from Cartier-Bresson:
The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks.
This led me to look further into Cartier-Bresson's work where I discovered 'Fire and Hoboken'. It all sort of fit together and flowed well.
The meaning in my work I don't feel is instantly obvious to the viewer, so I sort of compared myself to Adams' work straight away (Even though his is a single image and mine is an artefact) The meaning of mine is quite a deep thing and I think that it is quite an important thing, the same as Adams' image being about the Japanese people being held in imprisonment.