I read through the first half of 'Roots' again and marked all of the pages that mentioned the Baobab trees. This is because the Baobab trees are the main point of the piece, they are what drew my attention to the island so instantly because they are what have been there since the slaves.
I was surprised when I realized that there are only 9 pages which mentions the trees. The book however doesn't talk very much about the island that I visited, because it was only a holding place so the slaves were quickly shipped in and out of there, from where they were captured to the slave owners who were purchasing them.

I scanned them all in and then using Photoshop I cropped down so that I could join them together to make one page of text to layer into the work.
The way that the printers work in university, I had to print onto paper and then photocopy onto the acetate. These are some of the test prints:
The first one I tried just randomly placing them on the page.
I didn't really like it like this because there is not really any structure, the rest of the piece is really structured and it looked a bit odd with the text randomly placed. It looked pretty thoughtless.
This worked a lot better than the randomly placed text.






