Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Inspired

In our first lecture we were shown some examples of things we could create for our mixed media practical assignment. These were things including; interviews, series' of experimentation, sculpture, participant based research, film, books, animation, graphic design, installations, archives, sound recordings, etc.

One of the things that really struck me was
'Days Like This - Washing of Hands' by Joel Simon (2008)

As I am soon to embark on my own journey to The Gambia, Africa, it struck me as something I may be able to create. Also, I have been to The Gambia before, so it struck me because I could relate to the things the film talks about. It is a woman's voice we hear, which again helps me to connect to it, being a woman myself and she has a very soft, gentle voice that is really easy I feel to listen to and almost to sympathise with. Even though I don't think the point of the film is to gain sympathy.

Watching the film, it seems that the creator has really spent a lot of time with the person whose story is being told, the visual artwork fits so well with the audible sound. It is not a case, it seems, of a story being submitted and a voice being recorded and then a film being thrown together around the sound, it all totally and complete engages with each other. The words emphasise what is being seen, and the visual emphasises what is being heard. The time that went into this must have been great.

It is really difficult to express the way that this film makes me feel. It is uplifting at the same time as being sad, it makes you think, it captures your gaze, your thoughts and your .. complete attention.

It has really inspired me .. Hopefully after a little more research I will be able to pick out what exactly it is that drew me in and captured me and then create something of my own.