Here goes my first blog post of the year...
I have been sat staring at the computer screen for a while now, unsure of how to start. I suppose sort of scared to start because it means third year has officially started, time is going to whizz past at lightning speeds and I feel like I want to cry. However, it has to happen at some point and why keep procrastinating? Lets just do it!!
This first week of term has been exciting, yet at the same time scary and daunting. I have 3 modules to pass this year, these being: Dissertation, Mixed Media and Major Practical Project. The advice given is to merge the 3 together in some way, make threads stronger and stop my brain become a massive tangled mess of stress and excitement.
As many people are aware I am travelling to The Gambia in November of this year and so I have been wanting to merge that into this years work. If I didn't then I would be very mixed up and stressed and not very dedicated to my work. However, by combining the two things together I hope it will help me out and allow me to be more organized.
So... my first ideas are:
Dissertation - Looking at photographers who have photographed in difficult areas. For example, war photographers, photo journalists, photographers who have photographed in Africa. This needs refining and needs a lot of work put into it but is my starting out idea.
Mixed Media - We were shown a film in lecture 'Days like this - Washing of hands' by Joel Simon. It spoke volumes to me ! (I will do a separate post about why it spoke to me later on as initial research) So I think I would like to do something similar to this for my work. A video, kept anonymous, about the things that strike you when in a foreign place. This may include sound pieces, illustration, text, spoken word, etc etc.
Major Practical Project - I had the idea of documenting my journey to The Gambia, in an anonymous way by photographing the journey my feet take. I really don't like my feet at all, but in a weird way they are one of the most important things to me because they get me to the places I want to go and allow me to see things by taking me there. I like the idea of representing someone or something, without actually showing them/it. This would be a challenge, but as a first idea it has really got me excited and I want to do it now. That has to mean something right? If I want to just run and jump and shout and do research into it then it must mean I have truly clicked with the idea!
So.. now to have a tutorial with lecturers and do some research and see what happens!