Thursday, 3 April 2014

Book research

Edwards, E (2001) Raw Histories, Oxford: Berg

P16 says "...the material forms in which photographs are arranged, how they are printed and viewed, as albums, lantern slides, or mounted prints, is integral to their phenomenological engagement, structuring visual knowledge as well as those related human actions in modes of viewing."

This is saying that the way an image is presented ultimately structures the way that a viewer will see it, how they will understand it and the information that they will take away from the photograph that they are viewing. Human nature, is to impart our own understanding onto that image as well so it is really important that this is considered when the arrangement and presentation of work is being decided.
It is something that I will be massively considering when printing, framing and showing my photographs of the African children. I don't want to do it without any thought, because these are human beings, they are children - they deserve some respect and I really feel that by using their photographs in a resepctful way I will also be respecting and loving them at the same time.

This project holds a real emotional connection for me and I just want to get it right ! I want to do them the justice that they so very much deserve!!

P17 says, "Performances, like photographs, embody meaning through signifying properties, and are deliberate, conscious efforts to represent, to say something about something."

This also directly links to my project because for me it really is a conscious effort to represent and say something about the African children.