In my essay I talk about how the meaning of the image stays within the image and can't be changed, only the connotation can change depending on the viewer. After thinking about this for a while, I wanted the meaning of my work to be within the work, quite literally, yet still be hidden slightly.
So, I used the same text as the book is written in, (Times New Roman) and wrote a small piece about the work. It reads:
'If trees could talk, wouldn’t it be fascinating to know what they might say about the occurrences on James Island whilst the slaves were held there. The island is such an idyllic place to visit, big trees, open sea, lovely heat and friendly people to explain the relics as you explore the island. Slowly, the sea is washing the island away;, it is vanishing bit by bit. At some point in the future all history of that island and stories that the trees hold within them will be lost forever. Then what will happen?'
I placed this text in italics, as it is personal I wanted it to stand out against the text from the book. I placed the text against the light brown at the bottom of the image, I think it is a piece of wood or something on the ground. I put it here because it does not interfere with the rest of the image, however the black text stands out against the light background.
When it is placed amongst the other layers it is not very visible. Which I like, because it is in there and so that cannot change.. it is a literal trapping of the meaning within the piece of work.
I also like that it overlaps slightly the text from the books. The text from the book is bolder so that stands out more, hiding my text and blurring the words slightly.
Now I feel like I myself am a literal part of this work.